- 1 cup (250 ml) vegetable canola oil
- ¼ cup (175 ml) granulated sugar
- ¼ cup (175 ml) packed brown sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups (500 ml) “Robin Hood Nutri Flour Blend” gluten free
- 2 tsp (10 ml) cinnamon
- 2 tsp (10 ml) baking soda
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp (2 ml) salt
- ½ tsp (2 ml) xanthan gum
- 3 cups (750 ml, approx. 1 lb./454 g) grated carrots
Cream Cheese Icing
- 1 cup (250 ml) regular or low fat cream cheese, softened
- ¼ cup (50 ml) butter, softened
- 4 cups (1L) icing sugar
- 1 tsp (5 ml) vanilla extract
- Dry measuring cup
- Liquid measuring cup
- Measuring spoons
- Hand held or stand electric mixer
- Two 8’’ (22 cm) cake pans
- Wire cooling rack
- Cake: preheat oven to 350 0F (1800). Grease two 8’’ (23 cm) cake pans
- Beat oil and sugars together in a large bowl of an electric mixer until combined. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Combine flour, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder, salt and xantan gum in a separate large bowl. Add flour mixture to egg mixture. Beat just until combined. Fold in carrots. Divide batter evenly in the prepared pans.
- Bake in preheated oven 40 to 45 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean.
- Cool in pans for 20 minutes then remove from pans and cool completely on wire cooling rack.
- Icing: Cream the butter and cream cheese in a large bowl of an electric mixer until combined. Add icing sugar, one cup (250 ml) at a time. Beat well after each addition. Add vanilla and continue beating until fluffy. Add 1 tbsp (15 ml) milk at a time to thin out icing if necessary.
- Assembly: Place one cake layer on serving dish. Spread icing. Top with remaining cake layer. Spread top with remaining icing. Refrigerate until ready to eat.